bookscorpion: (librarian)
[personal profile] bookscorpion posting in [community profile] newcomers

Here are a couple of sites you can use to host your images to display them on Dreamwidth via hotlinking (aka the image is uploaded to that site but appears on whatever site you embedded it on)

(disclaimer: I have not used most of these personally but I have seen them around, or used them for single images I wanted to share real quick)

PostImages 

no account needed, free account available for more organisational options and space., and a paid account starting at 15$/month Will give you embed code ready made in a bunch of variations from html to markdown to bbcode.

Flickr

Flickr has been around for ages. There's a free account with limited space, or various tiers of paid accounts. I have no idea what those costs because Flickr won't show it to me. Will also give you embed codes in bbcode and html, with options on how the embed should look.

Edit: Flickr's $11/month or $82/year

imgbb

Similar to PostImages, will give you html and bbcode for your images. No account needed, no free account available but a paid account in various tiers. starting at 14$/month
Edit: apparently there are free accounts (I didn't want to go to all the steps of signing up so I missed that)

SquidgeImages 

free fannish image hosting by Squidge - for fans by fans which is really nice. 18+, no commercial use of the images. Images don't need to be fannish to be there.


FileGarden 

more a cloud than image hosting but as far as I know (but could not confirm because I haven't signed up), hotlinking is allowed. Also no idea what any of this costs because there's no easy way to find out.

edit:  it's free for the first 2GB (with 40MB maximum per file) after which you have to pay, with the lowest tier being US$2.50/month which increases the capacity to 100GB storage. 

dishonorable mention: Imgur made hotlinking against their TOS. The irony is killing me LOL

even more dishonorable mention: ImageShack who used to be free, pivoted to paid account and replaced embedded images from free accounts with advertising. And Photobucket who deleted those images when they went paid account which I guess is better than ads but still.




Date: Oct. 23rd, 2026 11:43 am (UTC)
fabiadrake: Pierre-Louis Pierson, 1861–67 (Default)
From: [personal profile] fabiadrake
I usually use PostImages and haven’t had any problems with it so far. Because I’m based in the UK, I can’t view Imgur-hosted images unless I change my VPN location to outside the UK.

Date: Oct. 23rd, 2026 05:39 pm (UTC)
saeng: (Default)
From: [personal profile] saeng
WHAT? Flickr is still around??? Wow.

P.S: Gave you a follow Subscribed to your blog, hope that's okay, even if we didn't follow each other on Pillowfort.

Edit: Thank your for the list, very handy.
Edited Date: Oct. 23rd, 2026 05:40 pm (UTC)

Date: Oct. 23rd, 2026 08:05 pm (UTC)
soc_puppet: Marceline the Vampire Queen [Adventure Time] drinks red from a dreamsheep (Dreamsheep Drinking Game)
From: [personal profile] soc_puppet
I've also got a guide to hosting images on Dreamwidth itself, but as much as I love Dreamwidth, it's a much more limited hosting situation than most of the other sites you linked.

Pro: You can upload anything that's legal in the US
Con: You cannot hotlink the images on other sites, such as AO3
Con: The interface is in desperate need of upgrades for things like organization and sorting

Profile

newcomers: Text says Dreamwidth above a yay emoticon. (Default)
Newcomers to Dreamwidth

October 2026

S M T W T F S
    123
45678910
11121314151617
1819 20 21 22 23 24
25262728293031

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Oct. 25th, 2026 02:24 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios